Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A look at Jason Bay and the (current) 2010 Mets


Though not 100% official, the Mets and Jason Bay have reached an agreement of approximately 4 years, $66 mil with a 5th year option. This is all pending physical.

I like this move. He was one of two big name players for left field this off season and we got one of them. Sure you can argue that Matt Holliday is the better of the two, but Bay is a great player. Holliday also has Boras for an agent who will run you dry for your money, so I'm sure Omar felt it easier to deal with Bay. I'm sure that's not the reason, but I'm sure it helped.

Jason Bay will find success at Citi Field due to its big outfield and the ability to hit doubles and triples while Matt Holliday and his homeruns would've taken a hit. I like this move a lot.

Current line up:

Reyes
Castillo
Wright
Beltran
Bay
Murphy
Franceour
(catcher)
(pitcher)

That looks great. Pending the health of everyone, we have a pretty nice line-up.

Now for the rotation:

Santana
Pelfrey
Maine
Perez
Niese

We need extra firepower. My ideal pitcher would be Carlos Zambrano but I don't know how likely that will be. He'd be a fantastic #2 though. Another pitcher I think would fit is Ben Sheets. You can read more on the rotation in my recent post here.

For the bullpen:

Escobar
Igarashi
Stokes
Green
Parnell
Feliciano
K-Rod

I like that bullpen. Escobar and Igarashi can prove to be huge commodities. We know what to expect from Stokes, Parnell and Green and hope for them to improve. Feliciano has been great and we need for him to stay that way. K-Rod will get more save opportunities, hopefully, and get back to closing exciting games.

As for the set-up job, I assume Igarashi, Escobar, and possibly Parnell will be competing for it in spring training so who knows.

I like this team. They have a good core and a young bullpen. Though the rotation needs to be worked on, this team has good talent otherwise. The Mets are apparently off this week and away from office, so the Bay press conference and other moves will be made no earlier then next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment