Monday, December 28, 2009

Addressing the rotation


Over the course of this off season so far, no moves have been made to resolve the black void of a rotation behind staff ace Johan Santana. Little moves have been made to improve the bullpen. Having a bullpen of Igarashi, Escobar, Stokes, Parnell, Green, and K-Rod surely can be argued as a decently strong bullpen.

Now on the rotation.

The rotation in 2009 was just awful. Between the injuries, we had no-names fill in and attempt to give it their all, which wasn't a lot. What will the rotation be in 2010 and how will it be addressed this off season? The following are possibilities, starting with what we have and going on to what we can get through the free agent market.

Johan Santana
He is the clear staff ace and a natural leader. We all expect a lot from him in 2010, and as usual he'll deliver.

Mike Pelfrey
Huge potential, huge head case. In 2008, his first full season as a starter, he put up a 3.70 ERA which was supposed to be the first step to becoming a dominate pitcher as he was speculated on being. Predicting this step forward, he was placed in the #2 slot. This step forward actually became two steps backwards as he put up a 5.03 ERA this season. Yes, he did show signs of dominance and it was exciting. When he's on, he's definitely on. I don't want to see him traded because I can see his potential. He has fantastic stuff but I feel needs more experience and more maturity. I want to see him be a steady pitcher in 2010 so he can be a solid #3 and maybe eventually fill that #2 spot.

John Maine
Maine's first year as a Met was fantastic, putting up a 3.60 ERA in 2006. The following years he put up 3.91, 4.18, and then 4.43 in 2009. I always envisioned Maine as a great reliever due to the fact he cannot last long in games. Given we get a starter, I feel Maine would be the first one shipped from the rotation to the pen.

Oliver Perez
Where do I even begin? In his seven years in the bigs, he's only had three good seasons, posting a 3.50 ERA in 2002 with the Padres, 2.98 in 2004 with the Pirates and 3.56 in 2007 with the Mets. I like his stuff but he seems to not be all there. Omir Santos said in an interview that Perez talks to himself on the mound all the time. Sometimes Omir thinks he's talking to him so he goes up to the mound to see what's up, then is told that he wasn't talking to him. Due to Ollie's big contract, he'll most likely be in the rotation for 2010. He has to step it up though. I like that this off season he's been working really hard in rehab to get himself in shape and completely ready for 2010.

Jon Niese
I like Niese. He's a young kid who is clearly an organization favorite. Though is fastball is pedestrian, his is curveball is fantastic. I remember Chris Carlin once called him Captain Hook one postgame due to this. I'd love to see him in the #5 spot in 2010, so hopefully he has a successful recovery. His injury was awful to watch and just a huge downer to me. A new face with a lot of potential gets the spot start and is eventually hurt and needs season ending surgery. I can't wait to hear about his progress and how he's doing in Sprig Training in competition for that 5th starter spot.

Now for a free agent...

Ben Sheets
Ben Sheets excites me. He'd be a great #2 behind Santana. When healthy, he's basically a Santana carbon-copy and an ace. I'd completely be all for Sheets, he's asking for $12 mil for one year deal and I might give it to him now. It might be pricey due to his injury given history, but at this point in time I'd be for it. Erik Bedard is another one to think of, but I like Sheets as our best opportunity. I feel he has the better arm and can give us more if healthy.

The 2010 rotation would look like Santana-Sheets-Pelfrey-Perez-Niese. If Sheets is healthy and his stuff is on, it can rival that of Santana's. The Santana/Sheets 1-2 is deadly and powerful. Pelfrey and Perez, given maturity and experience, would give you solid starts. I like Niese as our #5 because I feel Maine would be awesome in the bullpen. Niese can work out any kinks he has and show us what he's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment