Monday, January 11, 2010

Mike Pelfrey and 2010


I think everyone can agree that 2009 wasn't a good year for anyone. Pelfrey was the last starter standing by the season's conclusion, which was a forgettable one for Mr. Pelfrey and what was supposed to be a dominate season.

Pelfrey did fantastic in 2008 when he posted a 3.72 ERA. He was supposed to step forward in 2009 but with the catastrophe that went on, people say he actually went two steps backwards. I don't believe this at all as I believe 2009 was a major fluke. Plenty of things went wrong with last season and I think Pelfrey was a victim of it.

The team's defense could've been a big part of his down season. Also, his anxiety was probably in full-force due to his team deteriorating around him game by game or even inning by inning. I think that in 2010, with a healthy Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, and the rest of the team including Wright, Bay, and Francoeur, he can finally take the next step forward that was meant for 2009.

If it were up to me, I'd pass on Pineiro and add Jon Garland as our #4 starter. I'd take a chance and actually keep Pelfrey in the #2 slot and I know a lot of people would argue that. Sure, I'd love Ben Sheets but with the question marks we already have with John Maine, Oliver Perez, and Jon Niese, I'm not sure if we can afford another one. If we got Sheets I'd be pretty happy, but I'm not sure if Omar is going to go through with it.

If Pelfrey can finally take the step forward from his 3.72 ERA in 2008, he can be the #2 starter we're looking for that isn't in the market right now. Santana-Pelfrey-Maine-Garland-Perez/Niese would be a satisfying rotation in my opinion, judging all goes well for them. Santana is dominate. Pelfrey, taking his step forward, can be on his way to dominance as well. Maine needs to stay healthy and give us quality starts. We know what to expect from Garland and will get many innings from him, we just have to produce some runs on his starts. Perez and Niese I put as interchangeable. They're both lefties that can be helpful in the bullpen. I'd personally give Niese the go instead of Perez at first because I want to see what he's capable of as a full-time starter. If he's iffy, switch him with Ollie Perez. Just see who works and who doesn't... trial and error.

So, there you have it. That's my case for Mike Pelfrey as our #2 starter for 2010. Please keep the hate mail to an extent or maybe disguise it just as constructive criticism.

Can Mike Pelfrey be a #2 starter in 2010?

View Results
Create a Poll

No comments:

Post a Comment