Monday, January 25, 2010

The Mets Have Issues.

Hello, everyone. This is my first post since joining the CheMETSry team. You may know me from Twitter as @PessimisticMet. At CheMetsry, not only are we diehard Mets fans, but we also all are Jets enthusiasts. Watching the Jets has only re-affirmed my deeply rooted Mets pessimism. By watching the Jets remarkable play-off run, I realized: this team is not only youthful, but they have a distinct plan for the future and have executed that plan. What am I talking about? I’m talking about the complete lack of direction of the Mets for the future, and also the present.

In light of the recent awful handling of the Beltran situation, it had me thinking: Who are the New York Mets? What is our identity? And more importantly what do we hope to accomplish in the future?

I look at this roster and my pessimism is reaffirmed. I just have little confidence going forward into this season. I will give you my qualms and issues about this team. Will the doubts I share be a little exaggerated—maybe. However my aim is to shed some light on the issues facing this team.

The Age Factor: Folks, the Mets are not getting any younger. David Wright and Jose Reyes are no longer their former 22 year-old selves. Now, at 28 and 27, they are by no means old. However they have entered the beginning of their “prime” years. Jose must prove that he can string together a couple of years without missing a lot of game time. We all know he has the talent but he should be able to do more. Wright has been great, but with the disappointment that was last year, it’s time for him to get back into MVP form. Can they return to their former MVP form? Can they stay healthy? Can Wright find a stylish way to pull off his Martian helmet?

Luis Castillo is an eye-popping 35 years old. The single hitting champion has lost multiple steps that have not only affected his speed, but his range defensively. It also doesn’t help when he can’t catch routine pop-ups to end games against your cross-town rival. It’s time the Mets get rid of Castillo. Did he have a good season last year? Well, yeah. But at 35, a guy who relies so heavily on his speed for his slap hitting approach will continue to lose speed. He is sub-par defensively and its time we got a fresher set of legs out there whose career slugging percentage is actually above .340. Let me put something into perspective for you. Luis Castillo had 12 doubles last year. 12. Orlando Hudson had triple the amount. Can Luis Castillo play like he did last year? Maybe, but I just don’t see it happening. Adam Kennedy is available…all I’m saying.

It’s time we realize that the injury to Carlos Beltran might keep him out of many games this year. As CheMETSry reported earlier, Beltran’s injury is potentially career threatening. At 33 years of age Beltran is no longer a kid…the end is potentially near. When Carlos is healthy he is an elite centerfielder—no questions asked. A gold glover who can hit 40 home runs and is the most successful base stealer in MLB HISTORY…what more can you ask for. It pains me to say it, but those days might be behind him. If this injury keeps him out this year Pagan may have to take on a role that could prove to be too big for him. Gary Matthews is also not a solution. Perhaps the tandem of them both could be effective. However, both of them combined will be nowhere near close to a healthy Carlos Beltran: not close at all. That worries me.

Here’s something that concerns me deeply. Mets fans/bloggers were very torn up about acquiring a power bat this offseason, and I mean Bay is certainly a power bat. However, with the loss of Beltran (who I believe will miss a significant amount of time) and the inability to get Molina (who I believe would’ve added some much needed pop to the order) is Bay enough? NO! Pagan, though I admire him as a player, is not Carlos Beltran, and Santos is NOT Bengie Molina. Just because you have 4 catchers doesn’t mean they are all going to produce. IF Beltran is out for a long time that makes the Daniel Murphy situation a whole lot more interesting. If we lose that power from center field, Beltran’s replacement, Santos/Blanco/Thole/Coste, and Murphy most likely will not make up for it.

Jason Bay is 32, getting older by the minute…but consistent. I will not judge him until I see him play. Looks like a solid pick-up…I question his defensive capabilities and his speed…but let’s let him play first.

Did you know Franouer is 26? Him, Murphy, and Santos are all relatively young. I love Francouer’s grit, attitude, and defense. What I don’t love is his OBP. Murphy has potential…but I just don’t know who he is. Is he a platoon player, or is he a legitimate major league first baseman? We’ll have to wait and see on him but I am not very convinced he can hit 30 home runs and drive in 100 RBI.

Where are the Mets going? I really can’t tell you. But for now we look like a team that has no backbone, no fire and really looks like they don’t want to win. We continue to seek out short-term stopgaps and continually overpay for them.

The pitching rotation is a complete mess. Johan Santana is worth every penny. I will give the Mets credit, that was one of the best trades I have ever seen. Besides him there are some serious issues. Mike Pelfrey is not a number 2 starter and should not be. It’s not a knock on him as a person, he’s just not a legitimate number two starter on a potential “play-off caliber” team. A 3.72 ERA was promising two years ago, a 5.03 this year was not. Maine has showed a lot of promise. Stay healthy. Perez, a guy who I should be the most pessimistic about, is actually the guy I am most hopeful for. This guy could be a dominant pitcher. His stuff, when on, is absolutely nasty and borderline unhittable. If his workouts are going well and he can limit his wildness and walks—watch out. I hope he can pull it together, and for the millions he’s receiving…he better.

This is the worst feeling I’ve ever had going into a season. Let’s see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment